Thursday, June 12, 2008

My arrival in Egypt






















Ever since learning about Egypt from the early years of school, I have wanted to make the visit. Then when talking with my uncle many years ago he told me about an article that encouraged you to make a list of 100 things you wanted to do in your life. I made my list and second on my list was Egypt! However, I never figured I would find a situation that would allow me to make the Journey with others, and going into such a foreign country rattled my nerves. Then when talking with David and Alina about their trip I discovered that I now knew somebody making the same journey that I have always desired.

Soon after taking off from NY, I felt much like a child going on the worlds largest rollercoaster with every inch of ground I covered I knew I was in closer to my goal. Alina and David were very nice and meet me at the Airport, to soon find that my security pouch with all my money was already missing, after a walk around the Airport I found my pouch in the backroom of the main security room who just wanted to make sure I understood that I could get all my money back for a small price 40 US.

That night I took my first walk into the brawling city that reminded me much of New York until we walked 3 more blocks and then I realized I was in another land. I was very surprised at how kind and little hassle we all had to deal with, and despite all the information about a dirty city it was clean enough and the sights and sounds made the little problems such as missing sidewalk grates no problem.

The next day we took the trip to the Pyramids of Giza (the great Pyramids) "The sole survivor of the Seven Wonders of the World." After getting off the bus we were met with several people who were willing to tell us a half-mile walk was over 3 miles but we knew better because of Alinas much LP reading. My camera came out and took the first of 35 pictures in a very short period of time. The Sphinx was much like meeting a TV personality in the flesh - always smaller than had been imagined but still an amazing sight when looking at the 3 Pyramids in the backdrop. We paid our fees for the Camel shot that one couldn't leave Egypt without! As well as I paid out the 100 pounds to make the journey up into the main chamber, nothing like the movie but a quick touch of the 4000-year-old wall still made ones jaw drop.

This has been the most amazing experience of any vacation trip to date! As I sit in a Coffee shop smoking Shisha and drinking tea one can not help but thank my uncle for the idea of the list so many years ago.

- Jason

No comments: